Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Everything Under the Sun

February 2, 2011


9:08 PM me: Hi William

williamjohn.shields: hey dad

9:10 PM me: Happy groundhog day! Mom and Andrew are making me watch the movie of the same name

williamjohn.shields: hahaha

i havent seen that movie in forever

9:12 PM me: It's apparently become another "Field of Dreams" in the Shields house

williamjohn.shields: moonstruck?

9:13 PM i've been watching, though im not done with it

the social network

have you seen that?

me: West Side Story

9:14 PM No but Ying was telling me about it tonight

williamjohn.shields: i think you'd like it

Aaron Sorkin wrote it

me: What do you think about it?

williamjohn.shields: its really good

really well shot

and well written

9:15 PM it just looks really great though, the colors that David Fincher uses

and the actor who plays Mark Zuckerberg is good

me: She said it was good, but mostly because of the history of Facebook

williamjohn.shields: yeah

i don’t know

9:16 PM i mean, apparently there’s fabrications

that they openly admit

9:17 PM me: Isn't that the same guy that was in Juno or was it the actor the played O'Neill in the Hanson movie?

9:18 PM williamjohn.shields: Hanson?

no, its not Michael Cera from Juno

did you see the squid and the whale?

with Laura Linney and Jeff Daniels?

me: No but hear of it

williamjohn.shields: oh, Eric O’Neill. no, not him either

9:19 PM me: Oh well, I did recognize him from the trailers

9:20 PM How's the weather cyclone in Australia affecting you?

9:21 PM williamjohn.shields: it has rained in a while here

which is nice

*hasn't

9:22 PM me: Good to hear it nice, anything else new?

williamjohn.shields: not really

yesterday was one of the toughest days here

for no real reason

it just was

9:25 PM it's actually just been a rough week

9:26 PM me: Understand, how's things 0with the family?

williamjohn.shields: things are ok

their dad has some diabetic episode going on

his foot is bandaged

but i think he's getting better

9:27 PM me: Give him our best wishes

williamjohn.shields: i will

9:28 PM im thinking about running a half marathon next January in Cebu city

9:29 PM there's a massive bee hive twenty feet above our backyard

so there's a bunch of bees in our nice at night and before dawn

me: Mom here sweetie. What was rough about today?

williamjohn.shields: this week

i don’t know

just feel kind of lost

with my job

9:30 PM me: Does it feel overwhelming? Or directionless?

9:31 PM williamjohn.shields: both

my schedule was set up by the now former principal

and it almost seems that it was set up to make it hard for everyone

beneficial for no one

and extremely inefficient

she paired me with the worst teacher here

and two other

teachers

one of which is great

9:32 PM the other of which is a good teacher, or at least ok, but not easy to work with

this is echoed by some of the good teachers that I’m friends with

i have also become convinced during the past three months that teacher tenure should be eliminated

me: Why don't we all help u with the library project? Already have a box from carol

It might help to have a project outside of the classroom?

9:33 PM williamjohn.shields: maybe

but i havent even been focusing on that

im too exhausted

and im stuck with figuring out ways to pay for shipping

i don’t want you guys to ship everything

way too expensive

9:34 PM me: I agree in principle but the only thing I worry about are the principals. Was that a joke?

williamjohn.shields: not at all

i agree, there should be protections

but bosses can unfairly fire their employees in any profession

9:35 PM me: Don't worry about that part. Did u get me email with the mcps info?

williamjohn.shields: its just

this teacher, they cant fire him

its absurd

no, i am worried about that part

i want to make this work on a larger scale

9:36 PM and i don’t want people to start donating books only to find out that i cant ship them

me: We can fundraise for that or send it book rate

Just think about the kinds of books

9:37 PM williamjohn.shields: you're right

ok

I’ll draft something on Saturday

me: W

The shipping will work out

9:38 PM Dad was going to ask Scott about military ship

Shipping

Shipping

9:39 PM williamjohn.shields: thank you

im thinking about running a half marathon

me: Sorry, it's been an insane I haven't had a chance yet but haven't forgotten

9:40 PM That's great

williamjohn.shields: no, don’t apologize

what's new with you?

9:41 PM me: Everything is on overdrive

9:43 PM I'm now thinking of hiring 2 or3 new people

williamjohn.shields: wow!

where are you going to put them?

me: Just started up a warehouse again

9:44 PM Good question probably eliminate the Board room

9:46 PM How's the planning for the trip going?

williamjohn.shields: done

bought all the tickets

im taking a ten hour long boat ride back though

because flights onto the island are only like three times a week

9:47 PM the island I’m visiting that is

me: Mom back. When do u go?

williamjohn.shields: Wednesday, the 16th

two weeks

9:48 PM me: Hey same day I go to NJ (

williamjohn.shields: oh nice!

you'll stay for the weekend

?

me: For Jeannie’s cataract surgery

9:49 PM Not as exotic

williamjohn.shields: oh no

she has cataracts??

me: Yes ill stay and help

Yeah result of the drugs

9:50 PM williamjohn.shields: oh no

me: She's looking forward to seeing again

9:51 PM Rosie will be having her last chemo on the 10th and the next week is a killer

She's been thru hell

9:52 PM williamjohn.shields: Jesus

me: Plus they have had SO much snow

9:53 PM They're doing well together though

9:54 PM How long will u be away? It will be good to travel to a new place

9:55 PM williamjohn.shields: Wednesday until Monday

9:56 PM me: Will it be fun?


9 minutes

10:05 PM williamjohn.shields: sorry

a teacher came in to talk

yes

im very excited

im visiting the person im probably closest to here

and some other good people as well

10:06 PM me: A long boat ride sounds great

Great. I think that re -connection will be an ongoing thing

10:08 PM williamjohn.shields: is Andrew there?

me: Upstairs to take a shower. Opening tomorrow

10:09 PM Did I tell u that alexia made me a gorgeous cake for my birthday?

10:11 PM williamjohn.shields: hey sorry

got kicked off

did you say anything?

10:12 PM me: To much. Andrew is upstairs. Want to talk to him?

10:13 PM williamjohn.shields: that's ok

or actually

yes

please

me: Ok be right back

10:15 PM Hey what's up do u want me to just sign on Facebook

williamjohn.shields: sure

me: Ok

10:19 PM TTYL sweetie. Luv u

No comments:

Post a Comment